You and your child will have fun making this African drum craft. Put on some world music and let your little drummer bang away!
- Cut the paper to fit around your coffee can.
- Use your markers to decorate the paper with African patterns and animals. (You can find many examples of African drum art by doing an image search for 'African drums'.)
Assemble & decorate your African drum
- Glue or tape the paper around the coffee can.
- Place the lid of the coffee can on the fabric and cut a piece of fabric about 2 inches larger than the lid so it will hang down over the sides.
- Attach the lid to the can and rubber band the fabric over the lid.
- Wrap yarn around the fabric a few times to hide the rubber band and secure the fabric.
- As soon as the glue has dried, your African drum is ready to play! Use different sticks, pencils, even your hands to change the sound your drum makes.
Make coffee can drums of different sizes to hear their different sounds. Do larger drums sound lower or higher?
Research the endangered animals of Africa and include drawings of them on your drum.