Activity: Create an ocean
- One or two-liter plastic bottle with cap, clear oil (baby, mineral or light cooking), water, food coloring, funnel, tacky craft glue, hot glue gun, optional items: sand, glitter, small toys that can fit through the bottle opening
- 30 minutes
- Art & design, colors
Create an ocean snow globe with your child by following the instructions below:
- Fill the plastic bottle one-third to one-half full with water.
- Add drops of food coloring to the water until you reach a desired color. A combination of blue and green make the traditional color of the sea. However, your child might want to make a red, orange, or even hot pink "ocean." Use this time to discuss colors and what happens when different colors are mixed (yellow + red = orange, blue + red = purple, yellow + blue = green).
- If you have any extra colorful items (glitter, marbles, buttons, plastic figures), add them to the colored water.
- Using a funnel to prevent a mess, fill the remainder of the bottle with oil, leaving a couple of inches at the top. This is necessary to simulate the rolling of waves.
- Spread tacky craft glue around the top before tightly screwing on the lid. Apply hot glue around the base of the lid to ensure it's sealed.
- Turn the bottle over and watch what happens!
The principle behind the "ocean" is that because oil and water do not mix, the movement of the two separate liquids within the bottle gives the illusion of waves. Try different colors and make a rainbow of oceans!
© 2001-2013 LeapFrog Enterprises, Inc. All rights reserved.