Activity: Scratchboard painting
- Large box of crayons, poster board or thick paper, toothpick or paper clip
- 30 minutes
- Art & design, creative expressio
Introduce your child to the technique of scratchboard painting. The technique involves etching images on a black surface to reveal the colors beneath. Guide your child in following the instructions below to create his own scratchboard art:
- Using crayons, apply a thick layer of an assortment colors to different areas of a sheet of poster board or paper.
- Apply a thick layer of black crayon over the entire surface of the paper.
- Using a toothpick or paperclip, scratch the picture into the layer of black. A rainbow of colors will come through, forming the lines of the illustration.
For further exploration of scratchboard painting, check out the works of Brian Pinkney, an award-winning children’s book illustrator who uses scratchboard painting in his artwork.
© 2001-2012 LeapFrog Enterprises, Inc. All rights reserved.