Activity: Reuse the news
- Old newspaper, blender, coat hanger, nylon stocking, bowl, paper towels, iron, cutting board
- 60 minutes plus drying time
- Creative expression, art & design
Recycle your old newspapers and use them to make homemade paper. The process is a bit messy, so adult supervision is recommended. With your child, follow the directions below:
- Take several sheets of newspaper and tear them into little pieces.
- Put the pieces into the blender.
- Add hot water and let the mixture sit for about 10 minutes.
- Turn on the blender and blend the mixture for about 2–3 minutes.
- Bend the coat hanger to form a round loop.
- Cover the hanger loop with the nylon stocking to make a screen.
- Place the screen over the bowl and pour the liquid mixture out of the blender.
- Let this mixture sit until all the liquid has drained into the bowl, leaving a mushy paste on the screen.
- Place the screen between two sheets of paper towels.
- Place the paper towels with the screen on top of the cutting board.
- Iron out the paper towels.
- Remove the paper towels and peel your recycled paper off the screen.
- Let it dry.
Once dry, the recycled paper can decorated with rubber stamps and stickers to create personalized stationery.
© 2001-2012 LeapFrog Enterprises, Inc. All rights reserved.