Activity: Floral bookmarks
- Heavy books, flowers, construction paper (or heavy paper stock), glue, clear contact paper, hole punch, ribbon
- 30 minutes plus 2 weeks drying time
- Creative expression, art & design
Take a walk with your child to admire the spring flowers. Pick a few flowers from your garden or from a place where it is safe and legal to pick wildflowers. You may also buy several stems of fresh cut flowers from a store. Look for flowers that are colorful but not bulky (pansies, not carnations). With your child, follow the directions below to make a floral bookmark:
- Take two pieces of paper and carefully lay the flowers between them, stem, leaves and all.
- Put the papers between two heavy books and leave them there for at least two weeks to dry.
- After two weeks, carefully remove the dried flowers.
- Cut a piece of construction paper into a 2 1⁄2 X 8 inch strip.
- On the back of the strip, print a personal message on the bottom. For instance: Made with flowers on _____(date) by _____(name) or Made with flowers and love from _____(name).
- Arrange one or two dried flowers on the front side of the construction paper strip and glue in place.
- Place a piece of clear contact paper over the entire bookmark and then trim the excess.
- Punch a hole in the top of the bookmark and add a ribbon.
The bookmark will be a remembrance of spring flowers and your walk together with your child.
© 2001-2013 LeapFrog Enterprises, Inc. All rights reserved.