Activity: Boxes o' fun
- Colored tissue paper, scissors or pinking shears, white glue, brush, shoe box, collage and decorating materials (magazine pictures, family photos, sequins, glitter, ribbon)
- 45 minutes
- Creative expression, art & design
With your child, create fun, decorative storage boxes for small toys, collectables, hobby materials and even homework supplies. Follow the instructions below to make your own storage solutions:
- Cut colored tissue paper into two inch squares. Use pinking shears or specialty scissors for a fancier edge to your squares.
- Cover a portion of the box with glue and paste, overlapping colored squares onto the area until all 4 sides are covered. Do the same with the box top. You can also choose to paste the inside and bottom of the box and box top.
- Let the box and box top dry before decorating.
Help your child collage the box with pictures (cut out from magazines, drawn or even photos) of items that represent the contents. For instance, if the box is to hold trading cards, paste a duplicate or unwanted card on one of the sides or the top of the box. Younger kids will enjoy personalizing their boxes with their names written in glitter glue or small sequins. For future box and other projects, create a Box O' Fun filled with fun, creative tools and materials.
© 2001-2013 LeapFrog Enterprises, Inc. All rights reserved.