Your child can create unique beads out of paper for jewelry making or for decorating journals, frames, boxes or gifts. Follow the instructions below:
- Cut magazine pages or wrapping paper into strips one inch wide. Make rectangular strips for tube beads, or make tapered strips for round beads (one inch at one end, tapering to a half inch or a point at the other end).
- Beginning with the wider end (if using tapered strips), wrap the strip tightly around a pencil or crochet hook.
- Dab a bit of glue onto the inside of the strip end and glue it down.
- Continue wrapping and gluing strips around the pencil or crochet hook.
- Carefully varnish the beads and let dry. Be sure not to stick the beads to the pencil!
- Slip the finished bead off the pencil. Let dry for an extra day and then string the beads on yarn.