Use a theme, such as “on the farm,” to build sentences with your child. Follow these instructions to turn your child's sentences into an illustrated book:
- Begin with a simple sentence that includes a noun and a verb: Ducks quack.
- Ask your child to add an adjective: Five ducks quack.
- Add an article: The five ducks quack.
- Ask your child to add an adverb: The five ducks quack loudly.
- Repeat the procedure for all the animals on the farm.
- Use colored construction paper to make a book called On the Farm.
- Have your child draw a picture based on each expanded sentence, then help your child rewrite each sentence as a caption for the corresponding pictures.
- Ask your child to draw a book cover.
- Finally, line up the book pages, punch holes in them and use colored yarn or ribbon to bind the book together.